Open Until Filled
Child Support Presenting Officer
Reports To: Tribal Court Administrator
Salary (Grade): Contractual
Status: Part-time Independent Contractor
Location: Winnebago Tribal Court, Winnebago NE 68071
Job Purpose & Position Overview:
The Presenting Officer is the Winnebago Tribal Court’s designated Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska Child Support Enforcement Program (“WTN-CSEP”) representative providing services for child support enforcement cases. Represents the Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska; provides legal opinion; and representation for child support cases.
Specific Job Duties/Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates the Winnebago Tribe’s core mission, vision, and values
- Complete legal research and writing as necessary in the preparation of complaints, motions, pleadings, and other court documents related to paternity, establishment of child support, modification of child support, location of parents and assets, and enforcement of child support orders.
- Conduct pre-trial investigations necessary for case preparation.
- Apply, interpret, and explain tribal and federal rules and codes which regulate child support activities; ensure the compliance of the WTN-CSEP with mandated federal and tribal laws.
- Ensure compliance with due process standards.
- Assist in the use of legal remedies for civil action and enforcement remedies in efforts to obtain and/or enforce court orders.
- Assist with drafting resolutions and other legal documents as necessary.
- Serve as a technical resource on legal procedures and civil investigation methods.
- Serve as a legal resource on tribal/state child support agreements.
- Confer with tribal government agencies, the Tribal Court, and the state IV-D agencies to ensure collaboration on legal issues related to child support enforcement and any tribal/state child support agreement while upholding tribal sovereignty.
- Makes recommendations for the implementation of changes to the tribal code related to paternity and child support.
- Attend child support training programs, workshops, seminars, and collaborative meetings as appropriate.
- Provide other services as needed or assigned by the Program Director of WTN-CSEP and under the supervision of the Tribal Court Administrator.
- All other job related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor.
- Duties listed are only an illustration of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment.
- Licensed or qualified attorney at law is preferred.
- Have never been convicted of a felony for which he/she did not receive a full pardon.
- Must be of high moral character.
- Must be familiar with the code of professional ethics for attorneys.
- As Directed by management
- Heavy office work which includes the ability to lift up to 30-50 lbs.
- Regularly required to walk, stand, and sit for extended periods of time and use hands to operate computer keyboard, phone, and various office equipment.
- While performing daily duties, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- Reading, writing, calculating
- Above average social interaction skills
- Works with minimal to no supervision
- Must possess the ability to read, write, and speak the English language fluently.
- Must be able to continually and effectively employ professional verbal and written communications skills.
Certificates, Licenses & registrations:
- All applicants will comply with 45 CFR 1301, Subpart D, Section 1301.31, C and D, which require all prospective employees to sign a declaration prior to employment regarding all arrests and convictions of child abuse or violent felonies and to comply with PL 101-630 and PL 101-637 regarding criminal records check.
Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska
The Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska, as a sovereign Nation, is committed pursuant to its Constitution, to maintain, improve and protect the Tribe; To preserve its resources and cultural heritage; To create opportunities for its members to thrive and become economically and socially self-sufficient as individuals, families and as a tribal government; and, thereby, promote the harmony of traditional values, beliefs which will ensure a positive course of action for future generations.
Company Website: www.winnebagotribe.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)