Open Until Filled
Reports to: Controller
Salary (Grade): Negotiable D.O.E.
Status: Reg., Full-Time (Exempt)
Status: Reg., Full-Time (Exempt)
Location: 100 S Bluff St. Winnebago Nebraska, 68071
Job Purpose & Position Overview:
The Assistant Controller will be a strategic thought-partner, and report to the Controller. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager and will lead and develop an internal team to support the following areas: finance, budgeting, administration, and IT. The Assistant Controller will play a critical role in partnering with the senior leadership team in strategic decision making and operations as the Winnebago Tribe continues to enhance its quality of programs. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the internal efficiency and capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
Specific Job Duties/Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate the Winnebago Tribe’s core mission, vision, and values.
- Maintains a system of internal controls and ensure that continuous monitoring of internal controls happen throughout various divisions of the Tribe.
- Ensure all GL reconciliations are completed on a monthly basis before the deadline.
- Manage and maintain the Tribe’s various program budgets.
- Set up Awards, Projects, and Tasks based on identified grants and budgets.
- Work with Project Managers and Accounts Payable Clerk to properly code purchase requisitions and invoices for grant tracking of project expenditures.
- Monitor expenditures versus project budgets through the use of accounting software and Excel spreadsheets.
- Work closely with managers on status of grants and projects.
- Support the CFO and Controller in order to maintain short-range/long-term financial plans, forecasts, and updates.
- Assist with preparation of financial information for grants and other funding requests.
- Prepares status updates on grant expenditures for management.
- Assist in providing audit support to Controller and communicating accounting and reporting issues to regulatory agencies by reviewing, analyzing, and preparing supporting documents and other related materials.
- Assist in preparing and providing data for monthly, quarterly and annual reporting.
- Supervise the various other accounting staff engaged in AP, AR and grants management.
- Evaluating staff performance and providing relevant training or professional development opportunities.
- Identify, implement or improve Tribe’s procurement process to enhance overall operations of various division.
- Monitor Tribe’s financial policies and procedures and ensure these are updated as and when needed
- Retains a general proficiency of all day-to-day activities of the finance department.
- Monitor and approve all Federal and State compliance reporting done on a timely manner.
- Supervise payroll and all tax filings completed in a timely manner by each required deadline.
- Work with budgets to identify variances and reporting of such variances on a timely manner.
- Learn and develop various systems and procedures around Intacct software.
- Provides expertise to Management relating to accounting and budgetary matters
- Manages the Tribe’s cash and investment accounts in accordance with the Council’s guidelines
- Ensures compliance with loan covenants
- Works in partnership with the HR Director on the maintenance of insurance plans including property, liability, and workers’ compensation
- Help prepares the Tribe’s indirect cost rate proposal each year
- Help prepares and manages the Finance department budget
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Duties listed are intended as an illustration of various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from this position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment.
- BA/BS Degree in Accounting or Business Administration.
- CPA, CMA, CGFM, or similar certification preferred.
- A minimum of 3 to 6 years of senior level Accounting and Finance required.
- Familiarity of fund accounting required. Knowledge of federal, state, and local funding and grant requirements as well as familiarity with community resources preferred.
- Exceptionally skilled in Excel and proficient in all other Microsoft office Programs.
- Requires independence and use of initiative and judgment as applies to accounting, business law, and management concepts.
- Demonstrate effective communication, decision-making, leadership, management, critical thinking, analytical, research, information and computer literacy, strategic planning, problem-solving, and time-management skills are required.
- Knowledge of Governmental Accounting Principles
- Knowledge and understanding of fiscal management including analysis, budgeting, forecasting, and identification of cost centers.
- Knowledge of commercial and government contracting is preferred.
- Knowledge of the Self-Determination and Educational Assistance Act (93-638 as amended), Single Audit Act (as amended) is preferred.
- Knowledge of the Code of Federal Regulations and Office of Management and Budget (OMB) circulars applicable to Tribal Governments is preferred.
- Knowledge of grant management best practices is preferred.
- Knowledge of relevant tribal, state, and federal law is preferred.
- Knowledge of Intacct software preferred.
- Ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- Ability to problem-solve identified issues within the organization. Must be able to recognize shortcomings and effectively carry out solutions.
- Ability to manage projects from the conceptual stage through completion.
- Ability to operate computers and office management software is required
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be insurable under the Tribe’s eligibility guidelines.
- Must attend all department meetings and other training courses as directed by CFO.
- Normal to light office work which includes the ability to lift up to 10 lbs.
- Regularly required to walk, stand, and sit for extended periods of time and use hands to operate computer keyboard, phone, and various office equipment.
- While performing daily duties, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- Reading, writing, calculating
- Above average social interaction skills
- Works with minimal to no supervision
- Must possess the ability to read, write, and speak the English language fluently.
- Must be able to continually and effectively employ professional verbal and written communications skills.
Certificates, Licenses & Registrations:
- All applicants will comply with 45 CFR 1301, Subpart D, Section 1301.31, C and D, which require all prospective employees to sign a declaration prior to employment regarding all arrests and convictions of child abuse or violent felonies and to comply with PL 101-630 and PL 101-637 regarding criminal records check.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Submit an application at www.winnebagotribe.com, a resume, cover letter, and two (2) letters of recommendation are required. Applications submitted after the closing date or without proper documents will not be considered.
- If claiming Native American or Veteran preference, please include pertinent documentation.
- Call Human Resources at 402-878-2272 for further information.
As provided by Federal Law, all qualified Native American applicants shall receive preference over Non-Native American applicants. In the absence of qualified Native American applicants, consideration will be given to all other applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, disability or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.
Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska
The Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska, as a sovereign Nation, is committed pursuant to its Constitution, to maintain, improve and protect the Tribe; To preserve its resources and cultural heritage; To create opportunities for its members to thrive and become economically and socially self-sufficient as individuals, families and as a tribal government; and, thereby, promote the harmony of traditional values, beliefs which will ensure a positive course of action for future generations.
Company Website: www.winnebagotribe.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)